My “New” TS-430
My “New” TS-430
With all of the electrical fixes finished on the TS-430, I felt kind of sad when I looked at it. 30 years of hauling around in various mobile installations, and field day operations have taken their toll. I decided to give the old girl a facelift.
Here are some “before” shots of the case. Like a said, pretty beat up…
Side of top...
I started by dis-assembly. Taking the front cover off was a little tricky, because the tuning knob really sticks tight. We happened to have a cold spell in Arizona, and this time when I tried, it pulled right off. After that the rest of the knobs came right off, allowing me to remove the front panel. The top and bottom clamshell covers just have screws holding them on.
Once disassembled, I pounded out the dents using a hammer as an anvil, and a second hammer as a, well, hammer…
Next, I used some 600 grit sandpaper to sand out the various nicks and scratches, followed by 1000-grit wet sandpaper to prepare it for paint.
I did not do anything to the face of the faceplate, as it was still in good condition. But I did sand out the nicks on the edges of the faceplate.
I went to a local auto-paint store called New Age Auto Paints, on Country Club Drive in Mesa. The folks there helped me match the color of the original paint, and mixed up a batch for the case. We didn’t do a separate custom color for the faceplate. Instead, I picked out a color from the stock colors at Ace Hardware. That was a mistake…
Next, I masked off the areas not to be painted, and put two coats of Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch Ultra-Cover 2x primer on the rest. After drying for 24 hours, I wet-sanded the primer in preparation for the paint.
I was debating at this point whether to even use paint. The primer looked really good.
I then applied 2 coats of the semi-custom mix to the case halves. When I put the second color on the faceplate, I found that the store obviously had the wrong color of cap on the spray paint. It came out a very bright chrome color. So I had to strip that down and start over.
Altogether, I think I have about 6 coats of paint on the case and faceplate. It seems really durable now, and looks great.
The color chosen for the faceplate lip is Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch Ultra-Cover 2x Satin Granite. It turned out really nice. It’s like having a new rig!