OK, so now I had a translucent disk with a new dial label applied.  Now I needed to mount the disk to the mounting plate for the HW-16.  It turns out that this is harder than it sounds.  I expected some trouble drilling the holes through the polycarbonate disks.  But that turned out to be really easy.

Drilling mounting holes

Drilling mounting holes

While drilling the holes was pretty easy, getting them in the right location was more difficult.  I had put circles on the label to indicate where they were on the original dial, but there was just a bit of inaccuracy in a couple of the holes.  So when I mounted the plate, it was off center.

Off Center mounting

Off Center mounting

I installed the disk like that, but it wasn’t long before I discovered two things:  First, by being off center, the disk was tight on one end of the scale and loose on the other, causing it to disengage from the drive mechanism periodically.  Second, the drive mechanism was just to tight for the slightly thicker dial made from the old CD.

I tackled the first problem by enlargening the holes from 1/8″ to 9/32″.  That allowed enough slack to be able to adjust the position of the disk slightly before tightening down the screws.  So I was able to get it pretty much centered.

Centered Mounting Hardware

Centered Mounting Hardware

Back side of mounting plate

Back side of mounting plate

Oh, I also noticed that a previous owner had mounted the plate on the wrong side of the dial, as well.  That is now fixed.

Now, on to the second problem.  Not only was the dial drive not consistently engaging on the thicker dial, but it felt like the drive assembly itself was galled, sticking and roughly operating.  I noticed that there were a couple of retainer clips holding the pieces together.  I have to admit, that the first time I took this apart, I reacquainted myself with why these are sometimes referred to as “Jesus” clips.

Disassembled Dial Drive

Disassembled Dial Drive

After taking this apart, I burnished the brass surfaces and added just a bit of grease to the shaft.  Upon reassembly, the drive was silky smooth, and easy to operate again.  To engage the thicker disk, I found a rubber grommet with the right size interior hole and slot around the outside.  I added that to the drive mechanism, and mounted it to the radio chassis again.  Now the drive works fine, and the tuning as nice and smooth.  I have detected no slippage, yet, but can keep an eye out for it.  If I do get some noticeable slippage, I can use some kind of glue to keep the grommet from rotating around the drive mechanism.  Or maybe just mount it tighter to the dial…

Dial Drive assembled

Dial Drive assembled

Dial installed and working, with backlight...

Dial installed and working, with backlight…

Next steps… Fix the meter.